St. Ladislaus Parish in Philadelphia Celebrates 90th Anniversary
On Sunday, April 28, 1996, St. Ladislaus Church, 17th and Hunting Park Avenue in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia, celebrated its 90th Anniversary organized by the Pastor, Fr. George Ostaszewski, and the people of St. Ladislaus Parish.
Due to increasing numbers of Polish immigrants arriving in the United States toward the close of the 19th century and settling in the Nicetown area of Philadelphia, it was necessary to organize a new Polish parish. Permission was granted and on March 6, 1906, Rev. John Dabrowski was appointed as the first pastor of the newly created parish. For the last 90 years the parish has continuously upheld Polish traditions and continues to offer services in the Polish language.
In celebration of this joyous occasion on Sunday, April 28th at 3 p.m. Bishop Louis A. DeSimone celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving. Following the Mass, a Banquet took place at Ilona Keller's Dugan's Restaurant, 7900 Roosevelt Boulevard in northeast Philadelphia.
Ed Update: Few years later, this one of the most beautiful polish churches, was sold by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and shortly after demolished. Presently (2006) doesn't exist.
From: Polish American News, April 1996 and update
History of St. Ladislaus Parish
The Jubilee Year 1980 - 1981