Kleczka, John Casimir (1885 - 1959)

Representative from Wisconsin; born in Milwaukee, Wis., on May 6, 1885; attended the parochial schools; was graduated from Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wis., in 1905; took postgraduate courses at Catholic University at Washington, D.C., and at the University of Wisconsin at Madison; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1909 and commenced practice in Milwaukee; served in the State senate 1909-1911; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1912; commissioner of the circuit court of Milwaukee County 1914-1918; major judge advocate in the United States Army Reserves after the First World War; elected as a Republican to the Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Congresses (March 4, 1919-March 3, 1923); did not seek renomination in 1922 but returned to the practice of law; elected circuit court judge in 1930 and served until his retirement due to ill health in 1953; appointed a conciliation judge and court commissioner by the circuit judges in 1957 and served until his death; died in Milwaukee, Wis., April 21, 1959; interment in St. Adalbert's Cemetery.

Source: Congressional Data Base (2008)

Kleczka, John Casimir

Lawyer, jurist. Born May 6, 1885 in Milwaukee, Wis., the son of Michael and Agnes (Wiza) Kleczka, both of whom were natives of Posen [Poznan], Poland. Received his elementary education in St. Stanislaus parochial school. Graduated from Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wis., in 1905, with degree of Bachelor of Arts. Received Masters degree from same institution. Attended Law College of Marquette University, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Postgraduate courses at Catholic University, Washington, D. C., and at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis. admitted to the Bar in 1909.

In 1908 elected Republican State Senator of Wisconsin, from the 8th senatorial district. In 1912 elected delegate from the 4th congressional district to the Republican National Convention at Chicago, Ill. In 1914 appointed by the circuit judges as court commissioner of the Circuit Courts of Milwaukee County. In 1918 elected from the 4th Congressional district as Republican to the 66th Congress and in 1920 was re-elected to the Sixty-seventh Congress. After two terms of service, retired voluntarily from public life to resume the practice of law in Milwaukee. On April 28, 1925, Pres. Harding appointed him as major judge advocate general in the United States Army for a five year term, and in 1930 he was re-appointed for another five year term by President Hoover, but resigned from this commission before he assumed the duties of circuit judge in Milwaukee County in 1930. On Oct. 18, 1911 married Wanda Helen Lukomski, of Milwaukee and have four children. Member of the Milwaukee Bar Ass'n and American Bar Ass'n. Resides in Milwaukee, Wis.

From: "Who's Who in Polish America" by Rev. Francis Bolek, Editor-in-Chief; Harbinger House, New York, 1943